Dr Starr’s NHS work covers traditional general practice in a surgery, urgent care centres and out-of- hours. He is an appraiser of other GPs and supervises trainee GPs.
- A GP in Hertfordshire since 2009.
- A tutor of medical students at University College London Medical School.
- A member of the Beds and Herts Local Medical Committee.
- Co-chair of a general practice group that meets for educational presentations in Hertfordshire.
- A case assessor for the National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit, Oxford.
- Former author of medical articles for patient.info: one of the world’s largest independent health platforms.
- Medical referee for Luton Crematorium, a role that requires approval from the Ministry of Justice.
- A GP appraiser for the Hertfordshire and south Midlands area team.
- Member of the Primary Care Dermatology Society.
- Member of the Society of Medical Writers.
Dr Starr has had medical articles published in the British Medical Journal, the British Journal of General Practice, the GP newspaper Pulse, and Which? magazine.
2017 LLM Medical Law (commendation) University of Northumbria.
2009 Membership of the Royal College of General Practitioners
2009 Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
2007 Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
2004 MBChB University of Birmingham Honours in paediatrics and psychiatry
2001 BMedSc (Hons) Behavioural Science 2:1 University of Birmingham.
1990-1997 Haberdashers’ Aske’s School For Boys, Herts.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Book review of The Layman’s Guide to Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis by Eric Berne. British Journal of General Practice 2017; doi. 10.3399/bjgp17X690341.
- Headaches in the absence of other signs do not require imaging by GPs. British Journal of General Practice 2015; doi. 10.3399/bjgp14X682681.
- Medical classics book review: The Illness Narratives by Arthur Kleinman. BMJ 2012; 344: e251.
- Starr OD, Patel DV, Allen JP, McGhee CNJ. Iris melanoma: how pathology predicts prognosis
- Journal of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2004; 32: 294-6.